Homewood Middle School
Size: 280,000 SF
Date of completion: 2005
Sustainable design consulting, LEED specific engineering services, LEED Project Administration Services
This new school is a model of sustainability, fostering learning at multiple levels and promoting environmental awareness among students, faculty and the community. Built on a blighted site within walking distance to the community’s core, the new school features many of the best examples of environmental and engineering practices.
A digital “learning wall” strategically stationed at the main entrance brings awareness of sustainable development principles to students and visitors.
Homewood Middle School is the first LEED certified building in Alabama – Silver rating.
Sustainable Design Features:
- Reduced potable water use for effective conservation
- Use of 50 percent post-industrial recycled materials
- 30 percent less energy usage than a typical school
- Located within walking distance to community core
- Design minimizes short and long-term maintenance
- Construction with Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified wood
- Natural daylighting used throughout to reduce electrical lighting demand
- Adopted Green Housekeeping and Site Management
- Owner: Homewood Board of Education
- Architect: Giattina, Fisher, Aycock Architects, Inc.
- Mechanical & Plumbing Engineer: Davis/Dumas & Associates, Inc.
- Electrical Engineer: Ray Engineering, LLC
- Civil Engineer: Civil Consultants, Inc.
- Commissioning Authority: EMC
- LEED Project Administration Services: CxGBS®